Black Liquorice -A 54-years old man in Massachusetts dies for eating Licorice.
The construction worker has been committed to his diet of herb, as the report stated Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The man died in a hospital the day after he lost cognisance inside a fast-food restaurant.
Doctors wrote that he had “a poor diet, consisting essentially of several packages of candy daily.” Three weeks before he died, he switched from fruit-flavoured soft candy to black liquorice.
The herb accommodates glycyrrhizic acid, a sweetening compound derived from liquorice root, which can produce a drop in potassium levels in the body.
That in turn may cause high blood pressure, swelling, abnormal heart rhythms and even heart failure, according to the FDA.
“While the herb is safe in small quantities, it can be deadly when eaten in large amounts or even in more moderate amounts regularly,” Dr Jacqueline Boykin Henson told CNN.
As an internal medicine resident physician at Massachusetts General Hospital, she was concerned in treating the herb eating patient; she is now a gastroenterology fellow at Duke University.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!